At 4 AM, I went out the back door to go do my walk in the wet grass to cool my itchy feet. Of course, I left the door open. My plan is to never be locked out of the house when I do my dances in the moonlight.
I came back in, went downstairs to do my "sit up and go back to sleep". I was almost there when something swooshed by. I knew in an instant that it was a bat. Terror!!!!!. I turned on lights and looked everywhere. Not liking my lights, it flew up the stairway and at that point I screamed for Bob.
He was so brave....The bat went into the kids bedroom. Bob closed the door, then threw his robe over his head, went in and took the screen off the window. A quick email to Shannon who has had a lot of experience with these creatures said to throw a tennis ball inside a nylon stocking. The hope is that the bat will get caught in the nylon.
By the time we got that together, the bat appeared to have found the open window. We can't see him anywhere. The lights are on in that room and the dark outside is calling. We hope that we are done with this unwelcome guest.
7 comments:
That is not a pleasant experience. Is it the time of year? Paul and I came home from the Saturday night session of stake conference to find a lovely, rather mature looking bat in the living room. An open door, swinging towels and a broom and lots of screaming and yelling seemed to do the trick. I don't really worry, except we found a dead bat behind the couch about nine months ago - we blamed that one on the cat.
OH......How did your bat get in the house? Open door? By mature, do you mean large? I'm so sorry. And the dead one......good cat.
I can totally relate! The only time I've ever screamed was when a bat flew into our open bedroom window. The kids will never let me live that down :) I'm glad you got it taken care of. It must have been hard to go back to sleep. Hope you get a nap today!
You are all more experienced with bat episodes. They do cause a high level of excitement. I keep looking in dark corners to see what is there.
Just be careful! I had a baby sitter once who was a real gem - grandmotherly type, in her early 70s, and a bat was in her bedroom and bit her. 14 rabies shots later, she was still sick. Not fun at all. Glad these bat stories had a good ending,
I guess I understand what you were doing up at 4am, but how did you know Shannon would be up & responding to emails at that hour?
We were actually an hour and a half into the drama when I emailed Shannon. Just hoping.........
Post a Comment