Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Consider the Lilies...and Joleen

The lilies in the garden this summer, were the biggest and the best they have ever grown. A continual wave of color swept from one end to the other. I have Joleen to thank for having the opportunity to enjoy to grow her lilies for her....until later.

Be sure to enlarge this picture. Here is our flower lady selling her "flowers" at the market. She worked a couple of summers at Pike Place Market in Seattle and then a few more at the Olympia Farmer's Market. To make extra money, she also worked at the lily farm. Remember how hard it was to wash off the pollen? It was all hard work, but she shared the beauty of her flowers with all of us. And she has become an A-1 gardener of her own yard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I was about 20 in that picture. Despite all the very hard work, that was my most favorite job I've ever had. I think I'm ready for my bulbs back. I'll be over in about a month.

Anonymous said...

Ouch...I knew that I would be sorry if I posted that picture! But seriously, there should be plenty of blubs.
Is this market Seattle or Olympia?
Isn't she a pretty young woman?

Shannon said...

20? I thought this was yesterday! I love this picture, Joey.

Elizabeth said...

I still have my "Joleen" bulbs growing in Preston. They do multiply. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This was the Olympia Market in the old Yard Birds parking lot, back before they built the new place at the end of Capital Way. I'm glad Aunt Liz still has some of her bulbs. She left a beautiful garden behind on Tumwater Hill

Dwight said...

Hard to tell which is better looking--the lilies or the gardener.